Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sole Connection: The Art of Reflexology and Foot Reading with Monika Dobler


Aromatherapy Q and A with reflexologist Monika Dobler

We are very excited to have expert reflexologist Monika Dobler back at APA in October/November for some very informative workshops and wonderful treatments!

Monika was running her own practice in Switzerland and is now living in London. Her passion and heart lies "within the feet" and she lets herself be guided by her hands and intuition to find insight into a person’s wellbeing. She has been with Asia-Pacific Aromatherapy teaching reflexology under the topic of Holistic Views for over 10 years, sharing her precious knowledge in this aspect to our students.

In our Aromatherapy Q&A, Monika told us about her journey into the art of reflexology and foot reading, how our feet can help us to understand ourselves better and why she is passionate about Qi Gong:


1) Monika, how did your journey into the art of reflexology and foot reading start? 

When moving to Hong Kong in 1994 I decided to start a complete new career, having worked as a Kindergarten teacher for quite some years. Acupuncture was my goal although it wasn't meant to be, as I couldn't find anything suitable then. I found an international degree course in Aromatherapy (not with APA, they started later) instead.

Once I entered the world of natural medicine, one course followed the next and I explored many different massages and therapies!

After having done an Introductory Course on Reflexology at YWCA, I wanted to learn more about it and decided on doing a full-time course.

Foot reading came only years later living back in Switzerland when I found a book written by a Swiss Lady about feet reading. I was fascinated to read about how much more we can see in our feet besides the Reflexology (which is reading the feet as well).

I trained with that Lady and did some further training with a Belgian who teaches toe reading. There is still much more to explore and learn with every pair of feet that I see about its owners, myself included!


2) Please tell our readers more about foot reading and how it helps us to understand ourselves better?

The feet are a mirror of ourselves, we see body, mind and spirit in them - our health, the way we think and feel. Especially the toes show how we send and receive energy, how we deal and communicate with us and others.

Looking at the feet helps us to see where our strength lies and where there are knots that need to be entangled; why certain things work and others don't! Do I express myself or do I bottle up, is there fear and insecurity, do I know what I want and if so do I have the strength and energy to follow it through. Am I suitable for a job or do I lack certain requirements and my strength is in another field!

It helps me to see where I stand in my life or to understand my partner or my children better.
For example: The gaps in between toes show me how fast or slow I can respond to a question or a task. Whether I am able to look at something in detail or just see the outer picture.


Reflexology Workshop Hong Kong
3) We are delighted to have you back at APA in October for a Reflexology & Foot Reading workshop. What can our students expect to learn in your short courses?

In Reflexology they learn about what Reflexology is, its history, technique and way of treatment. They learn where to find the area in the feet that correspond to the area in the body in a simplified way. Participants can expect to be able to give a simple reflexology treatment to themselves or friends.

In Foot Reading we'll learn about the position of the toes and its meaning, what each toe stands for. We read our own toes to help us understand ourselves better. Though most importantly for both courses is that they can expect to find out and learn about themselves! Because we can only truly treat and understand others if we treat and understand ourselves.

So expect to get a hands-on course full of love!


4) Another passion of yours besides reflexology is a traditional Chinese form of exercise: Qi Gong. Which style do you practice and what are its health benefits? 

I do different styles; my favorite is Taichi Qigong (also called Shibashi) or healing sound Qigong. Qigong helps you to let the energy flow and most importantly helps you to be aware of yourself and what is going on in your body, mind and spirit!

Body wise it strengthens your organs, helps your circulation, keeps your muscles and joints flexible. It clears the mind and lets you focus. It helps to release and deal with your emotions and it makes you smile!

Thanks so much, Monika! 

Join Monika in her great workshop, find more details here

No comments:

Post a Comment