Saturday, May 11, 2013

Aromatherapy Q & A with Joie Yiu


Just before Joie Yiu will host our next Sharing Session on Aromatherapy and Alzheimer's Disease this afternoon, we had a chance to have a quick chat with her.

Joie is an APA Diploma Course graduate and also a tutor for our Chinese classes. Besides being a very experienced aromatherapist, she also holds Master Degrees in Counseling and Religious Studies which she integrates in her aromatherapy treatments. Today Joie tells us about her involvement in welfare organizations, how she improved her communication skills and why it is important to be persistent:


1) Joie, how did you get involved with the Hong Kong Alzheimer's Disease Association?

I searched the web about welfare organizations just because I wished my knowledge could benefit society. Actually, I applied to a few welfare organizations with a focus on the elderly because I found the need for it. HKADA offer an on-line application, therefore I applied. However, no other organization replied me except HKADA. So, I got involved with HKADA just by accident.


2) You bring your background in counseling and religious studies into the treatments of your clients to provide a holistic approach. Can you tell us a bit more about this?

After having completed APA's Diploma course, I found that it is still difficult for me to fully understand client's needs. A 15-minute consultation is only good enough to learn some superficial issues (like tense muscles, busy life-style etc.) Only a few clients know how to express their needs underneath and I found that as a good therapist one has to consider the client's psychological issues as well. So, I took a counseling course to improve my communication skills and to develop my confidence to discover the client's underneath needs.

However, I also think that a holistic treatment should include the body, mind & spirit. As I am a Christian, I do believe Christian religious is the path to integrate it. And after my graduation on Master of Divinity, I try to integrate these three aspects into my services.

After a 18-month trial period, I got the recognition from my church, different welfare organizations and from APA. My approach is to be an appropriate Holistic Aromatherapist.


3) Can you give some tips to our students and graduates who are interested in becoming volunteers with different welfare organizations to promote the benefits of aromatherapy?

It was a quite long journey which took me over eight years to become a Holistic Aromatherapist. The tips are simple: "Don't hesitate to try". My experience is a good example that when we take action to try, there are a lot of possibilities. Of course we might get some rejection and face difficulties before reaching our aims. But don't give up, a persistent attitude made everything possible. 



Our Sharing Session will start today at 3pm - for last minute registrations, please email us. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment