Monday, July 22, 2013

Q&A with Stephanie Vuilliomenet, one of APA's most committed Diploma Course graduates


Aromatherapy Q and A with Stephanie

Today we had a very interesting chat with APA Diploma Course Graduate Stephanie who may be one of our school’s most committed students.

Every alternate weekend for 18 months, she would travel all the way from Shanghai - where she lives with her husband – to attend our classes!

Stephanie told us about the difficulties she faced during this time, why she left her “secure” corporate job for her own aromatherapy studio and how to not let any excuses stop you from pursuing your passion:


1. Stephanie, what were your reasons for studying aromatherapy?

That goes a long way back. Around 20 years ago, I discovered the magical world of plants and holistic healing. I began taking classes in different kinds of natural healing modalities like aromatherapy, Bach Flowers, reflexology and many others. I was lucky to meet inspiring teachers and soon became passionate about understanding the mind-body connection and how plants can help us heal.

Deep down inside me I knew I would one day work with plants and healing, but I was full of fears and blockages and never dared to step out of the “secure” business studies and corporate job. It took me 20 years of healing, learning, reading, experiencing, hesitating, relocating to China and an in depth yoga practice to eventually fully throw myself into what I wanted to do from my heart.

Aromatherapy is for me the meeting point of different health aspects that I truly believe in: a concentrate of a plant and its soul in a little bottle, providing us with its support on the physical and emotional levels, mixed with the healing touch. A perfect synergy to help the body and mind regain balance and wellbeing.


2. You are one of APA's most committed students - while living in Shanghai, you traveled back and forth to Hong Kong to attend class. Please tell us more about your aromatherapy "journey"

Well that has not been easy! When I felt ready to learn aromatherapy, I did some research and realized that it was impossible to find such a course in Mainland China. So I looked up some websites in Taiwan and Hong Kong, just in case (I would be crazy enough to go all the way there;-)). When I read the details about the APA Diploma Course, I immediately felt it was what I wanted. But I needed a lot of discussions with my husband to get over my feeling that it wouldn’t be “reasonable” to take a course so far away.

Indeed, I spent a great amount of resources in terms of money, energy, time, and even health in order to fulfill this dream. I would usually fly to Hong Kong on Friday, stay 3 nights at the hotel and fly back to Shanghai on Monday morning. Looking back at this period, I smilingly describe myself as “crazy”! But the truth is I strongly believe in making our dreams come true, no matter what it takes! 


Stephanie in her aromatherapy studio in Shanghai
3. What did you find most challenging or difficult? And how did you keep up the discipline?

My situation was certainly very special, so the most difficult for me honestly was the traveling and carrying my big suitcase in Hong Kong MTR so often. But I tried my best to see the good side, enjoying the adventure and “time out” of my life in Shanghai and making the most out of every moment. In the difficult times, I would always tell myself that it was just a question of mindset and that I had a perfect opportunity to work on my acceptance and tolerance. 

Regarding the Diploma Course, I found the massage to be the most challenging, because I hadn’t really thought about giving massage. I was more interested in essential oils. But today, I couldn’t imagine doing without massage. Touch is to me one of the most important parts in the healing process. Learning to understand the body and enhance its healing capacity by massaging is an amazing experience.

The business plan made me spend some hours looking at my computer completely lost. But in the end it was a very useful experience.

In all these difficulties, it’s my strong desire to learn that kept me on track.


4. You have your own aromatherapy studio in Shanghai. What is the philosophy behind your business?
My philosophy is quite simple. In doing what I love every day, I give my clients a break from their busy lives, share with them my passion for essential oils, help them connect to themselves and achieve a more balanced physical and emotional health.


5. Any tips for our readers who are interested in taking our Diploma Course (and might have to travel from afar)?

I would say that if you really are interested to learn about aromatherapy, then don’t find any excuse, only look for the solutions to make it possible and go ahead!


Thanks so much, Stephanie! If you are now inspired to also pursue your passion in aromatherapy, the next Part-time Diploma Course (Chinese ) will start on 7 April - click here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment